St Giles Church & Beech Close, Desborough, Northamptonshire, NN14 2XQGet directions
More about the area
Desborough's history can be traced back to the Bronze age four thousand years ago. The famous bronze Desborough Mirror comes from the Iron Age and is dated 1st century BC. There are also traces of an Anglo-Saxon settlement on the site of Desborough which can still be seen as earth banks in a field south of the church.
The oldest building in the village is St Giles' Church, which was built around 1225 AD most likely on the site of the earlier Saxon one. In the Domesday Book of 1086, Desborough is variously refered to as "Dereburg", "Desburgh" and "Deisburg" meaning "place of judgement". Along Gold Street, the Old Manor House can be found, dating from the late 17th/early 18th Century.
Between the 15th and 18th Centuries, the Poultons were Lords of the Manor. Lord Ferdinando Poulton, an eminent lawyer and a Roman Catholic is sometimes reputed to have been involved with the "Gunpowder Plot of 1605" and his near neighbour Francis Tresham was found guilty of involvement and died in prison. More information about Desborough can be found at the Heritage Centre in Station Road which contains 2,000 years of history.